* The first New Year’s celebration dates back 4,000 years. Julius Caesar, the emperor of Rome, was the first to declare Jan. 1 a national holiday. He named the month after Janus, the Roman god of doors and gates. Janus had two faces, one looking forward and one looking back. Caesar felt that a month named after this god would be fitting.
* Forty-five percent of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. The top resolutions are: losing weight, getting organized, spending less and saving more, to stay fit and healthy, and to quit smoking. While nearly half of all Americans make resolutions, 25 percent of them give up on their resolutions by the second week of January.
* Be sure to eat leafy greens on New Year’s Day. Tradition says that the more leafy greens a person eats, the more prosperity he/she will experience. Tradition also says that beans bring prosperity because beans and peas look like coins. No wonder why so many people eat black eyed peas on Jan. 1.
* Approximately 1 million people gather in New York City’s Times Square to watch the ball drop. The Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop came about because of a ban on fireworks. The first ball in 1907 was 700 pounds and was lit with 100 25-watt lights. Thanks to technology the current ball puts the old one to shame – today, it is covered in 2,688 crystals, is lit by 32,000 LED lights, weighs in at 11,875 pounds and is 12 feet in diameter.
Happy New Years from our families to yours!
We would like to take a moment and wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from ARC Electric Company.
Wednesday, December 21st is the official first day of winter and here in the South we rarely see luscious snow fall, but we can always dream!
The Electrical Safety Foundation International or ESFI works all year round to keep families and businesses safe! They have great resources on their site, which I try to share as often as I can. They have a quirky mascot, P.I. Plug and he is a great resource for children and teachers – he uses helpful tools to keep children safe!
P.I. Plug’s Safety and Activity Guide – Warm Up Safety this Winter!
Use these electrical and fire safety tips, in-class activities, and more to get students excited about keeping safe this winter. Don’t miss the Safety Badge cutout. You don’t want your Safety Detectives running around un-certified!(Click the picture below to be directed to the booklet)
electrical safety, electrical tips, electrical safety tips, holiday safety tips, holiday safety, Christmas safety, Charlotte Electrical Contractor, Charlotte Electrician, Electrician in Charlotte, Electrician in Charlotte NC, Electrical Contractor in Charlotte, Electrical Contractor in Charlotte NC, Matthews Electrical Contractor, Matthews Electrician, Electrician in Matthews, Electrician in Matthews NC, Monroe Electrical Contractor, Monroe Electrician, Electrician in Monroe, Electrician in Monroe NC, Indian Trail Electrical Contractor, Indian Trail Electrician, Electrician in Indian Trail, Electrician in Indian Trail NC, Electrical Contractor in Matthews, Electrical Contractor in Matthews NC, Electrical Contractor in Monroe, Electrical Contractor in Monroe NC, Electrical Contractor in Indian Trail, Electrical Contractor in Indian Trail NC
Testing Your Smoke Alarms Monthly
*Smoke alarms should be maintained according to manufacturer’s instructions.
*Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the “Test” button.
*Make sure everyone in the home understands the sound of the smoke alarm and knows how to respond.
*Follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning to keep smoke alarms working. The instructions are included in the package or can be found on the internet.
*Smoke alarms need a new battery at least once a year. If the alarm chirps, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
Testing Your CO Detector
*Test CO alarms at least once a month using the “Test” button to ensure it is drawing electrical power. It will emit high-pitched, loud beeping, usually louder than a smoke detector. During this test it will also speak to you.
*Make sure everyone in the home understands the sound of the CO detector and knows how to respond.
*If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries and replace. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
*Replace CO detectors every 7 years.
Charlotte Electrical Contractor, Charlotte Electrician, Electrician in Charlotte, Electrician in Charlotte NC, Electrical Contractor in Charlotte, Electrical Contractor in Charlotte NC, Matthews Electrical Contractor, Matthews Electrician, Electrician in Matthews, Electrician in Matthews NC, Monroe Electrical Contractor, Monroe Electrician, Electrician in Monroe, Electrician in Monroe NC, Indian Trail Electrical Contractor, Indian Trail Electrician, Electrician in Indian Trail, Electrician in Indian Trail NC, Electrical Contractor in Matthews, Electrical Contractor in Matthews NC, Electrical Contractor in Monroe, Electrical Contractor in Monroe NC, Electrical Contractor in Indian Trail, Electrical Contractor in Indian Trail NC
Did you know that you can send us your home inspection report and from that we can work up an estimate for your electrical needs?
Whether buying or selling a home, it is always a good idea to get an understanding of where the home’s electrical system. We have worked with countless real estate agents, sellers and buyers to work up a free estimate for their home inspection report. Call our office to inquire about getting a FREE estimate – once we receive a report, we will look it over and work up an estimate to be emailed over. If you would like to schedule the repairs, we would be glad to set that up for you, as well!
ARC Electric Company offers a 5 year warranty on all of our work and stand behind the quality of our services. Give us a call today – 704-821-7005!
Sometimes homeowners underestimate a surge, an electrical surge will follow any wire into a house — including your phone and cable lines, televisions, satellite systems, computers, and modems. You also can’t forget about your plugged in appliances, they aren’t exempt from a electrical surge’s wrath. A power surge lasts for only a few millionths of a second, but at its worst, it carries tens of thousands of volts, enough to fry circuit boards, crash hard drives and home-entertainment systems.
A lightning strike has to be less than a mile from the house to cause harm, and in fact most surge-related damage is not caused by lightning. Far more common, though not as dramatic, are surges caused by downed power lines or sudden changes in electricity. The damage inflicted by these minor power fluctuations can be instantaneous — but may not show up for some time.
A simple surge protector installed at your panel box could save you thousands of dollars in replacement cost and countless hours of dealing with insurance companies. ARC Electric Company installs Eaton Whole Home Surge Protectors and these are endorsed by Mike Holmes of HGTV’s Holmes on Holmes – read a recent blog about it. Right now we have a $50 off coupon on our website – CLICK HERE. Normally it is $425 for (1) surge protection on a 200 amp panel. With the coupon it brings the cost down to $375.
Take advantage of this deal now – call us today! (704) 821-7005.
We all know our homes are a busy place; a permanently installed whole home generator will keep that rhythm going by providing dependable protection during an unexpected power outage. Whole home generators can provide worry-free emergency power to support your homes electrical needs for days, possibly even weeks. Whole home generators are a clean and quiet, automatic backup power, just what your family needs to be safe and comfortable!
Call us today to set up your FREE on-site estimate (704) 821-7005!