Don’t Get Shocked….Make Sure Your GFCI’s Work!

Electrical Outlet, GFCI outlet
For decades, ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) have saved lives and have helped significantly reduce the number of home electrocutions. GFCIs are electrical safety devices that trip electrical circuits when they detect ground faults or leakage currents. A person who becomes part of a path for leakage current will be severely shocked or electrocuted. These outlets prevent deadly shock by quickly shutting off power to the circuit if the electricity flowing into the circuit differs by even a slight amount from that returning.
 
A GFCI should be used in any indoor or outdoor area where water may come into contact with electrical products. The latest edition of the National Electrical Code currently requires that GFCIs be used in all kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and outdoors. GFCIs should be tested once a month to confirm that they are working properly.
 
How to Test Your GFCI:
 
*Push the “reset” button on the GFCI to prepare the outlet for testing.
*Plug in an ordinary light or plug tester (from Home Depot) into the GFCI and turn it ON. The light should now be on.
*Push the “test” button of the GFCI. The light should go OFF.
*Push the “reset” button again. The light should now come ON again.
*If the light does not turn off when the test button is pushed, then the GFCI may have been incorrectly wired or damaged and it no longer offers shock the protection it was designed for.
 
 
If you need electrical assistance, please call ARC Electric Company – (704) 821-7005!