Outdoors is the most dangerous place to be during a storm. Lightning can travel sideways for up to 10 miles, blue skies are not an indication of safety. If you hear thunder, go inside immediately.
Indoor Storm Safety Tips
* Once indoors, stay away from windows and doors.
* Do not use corded telephones, except for emergencies. You can use cordless or cellular phones.
* Unplug electronic equipment before the storm arrives and avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords during storms.
* Avoid contact with plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.
* Unplug appliances and electronics in advance of stores to protect them from power surges
* Use battery-powered lanterns and flashlights instead of candles, which can start a fire
* Do not use electric equipment like computers and appliances during a storm.
* Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.