As cold weather approaches ARC Electric Company wants to remind you to keep electrical safety in mind as the cool fall air moves many activities back inside. Find some electrical great safety tips below!
As always, please give ARC Electric Company a call if you have any concerns about your homes electrical! 704-821-7005
* Check outlets for loose plugs, which can overheat and cause a fire.
* Test ground fault circuits (GFI) outlets to ensure they reset properly when pressing the test button.
* If there are young children in the house, make sure unused outlets have safety covers installed.
* If you are frequently resetting circuit breakers, call an electrician to inspect the circuit and upgrade the electrical panel if necessary.
* Make sure electrical cords are in good condition. Never use tape to fix a damaged electrical cord, always replace the cord.
* Use only weatherproof electrical devices for outside activities. Protect outdoor electrical devices from moisture. Make sure electrical equipment that has been wet is inspected and reconditioned by a certified repair dealer.
* Test smoke detectors and CO detectors monthly.
* Safely store warm weather tools like lawn mowers and trimmers. Check cold weather tools, such as leaf and snow blowers, along with their power cords, for unusual wear and tear. Repair or replace worn tools or parts right away.
* Unplug and safely store battery chargers that won’t be in use again until spring.
* Keep dry leaves swept away from outdoor lighting, outlets and power cords.
* Make sure electric blankets are in good repair and certified by an independent testing lab such as UL, CSA or ETL. Power cords should not be frayed, cracked or cut.
* Do not tuck your electric blanket under mattresses or children, and do not put anything, such as comforters or bedspreads, on top of the blanket while it is in use.
* Never allow pets to sleep on an electric blanket.