Electrical Wiring in Older Home

damaged electrical wiring

Like people, your house ages; electrical wiring can deteriorate and become “worn out” causing dangerous situations within the walls that cannot be seen. For example, the insulation around the wires sometimes wears out due to excessive heat caused by overloaded circuits. Even household pests, like mice, can damage the protective outer coating. Homeowners should be aware of what the safety concerns are of old wiring in their houses and learn the most common electrical wiring warning signs.
 
PrintWhile reading over these tips, keep in mind ARC Electric Company offers CurrentSAFE. CurrentSAFE is the most comprehensive diagnosis of your homes electrical system! ARC Electric Company’s specially trained CurrentSAFE Technician can locate concealed electrical problems by providing this revolutionary electrical testing on residential properties without having to dismantle, damage or cut into any parts of the home. CurrentSAFE’s unique testing process ensures the electrical safety of a home along with reducing the risk of fire or electric shock by exposing any potential hazards that can and should be corrected. Call us today to schedule your FREE In Home Assessment. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE!
 
Safety Concerns of Old Wiring
According to a 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Association(NFPA), faulty wiring is the most common cause of residential fires in the United States. As fire and building codes improve, the longevity of electrical devices and wiring improve as well. However, any wiring over 40 years old should be checked by a qualified licensed electrician periodically. This is an investment for a household’s safety and your peace of mind.
 
Five Electrical Wiring Warning Signs
Sign 1: Breakers and Fuses Go Out Regularly
Circuit breakers are designed to help to protect the house from fire by “tripping” when they are overloaded by exceeding the number of amps the circuit is rated for. Fuses provide the same protection, but circuit breakers are reusable and can be “reset”, where fuses need to be replaced whenever they “blow out.” Circuit breakers do wear out over time and, and the more often they trip, the more likely they can go bad.
 
Sign 2: Dimming and Flickering Lights
 
Dimming and/or flickering lights are a sign of an overloaded circuit. As another device turns on in a circuit, especially motor driven devices, they pull more amperage than when they run at a steady pace. Good wiring on a circuit will rarely dim or flicker. However, occasional dimming or momentary flickering is normal in some cases. But, if it happens often, this may be a sign of faulty wiring or a bad circuit breaker that needs to be replaced.
 
Sign 3: Buzzing, Charred, or Discolored Outlets and Switches
 
Buzzing, humming, charred, and/or discolored outlets or switches are a bad sign of a potentially dangerous situation. The outlet or switch should be replaced right away, but the problem is not always in the outlet or switch. In some cases, faulty wiring, usually near the outlet or switch, or a loose connection on the switch is the cause. This causes the outlet to arc and make a small, short-lived mini fire that causes the outlet’s surface to char or discolor from heat.
 
Sign 4: Burning Smell
 
A burning smell in a home can be scary. An electrical fire initially has a fairly acrid smell. A short in a circuit that causes a brief burn has the same smell. Electrical fires that catch surrounding material on fire, however, have a much different smell. If a burning smell is present, especially if it smells acrid, call an electrician immediately. In some cases, the short is in the outlet, but if it is in the wiring within the wall, it can more easily catch surrounding materials on fire. In either instance, homeowners should turn off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse for that circuit until the electrician can examine the circuit and make repairs.
 
Sign 5: Shocking Switches and Outlets
 
Shocking switches or outlets are a good indicator that the switch or outlet is bad. Sometimes it means that there is a wire in the circuit shorting out to the conduit enclosing the wires. Aside from being physically unpleasant, this is a sure sign that something is wrong. It could be a device plugged into the outlet, the outlet or switch itself, or a wire that has lost its outer insulation. If devices are removed or replaced and it still happens, the outlet or switch should be examined or replaced, and it would be a good idea to have the wiring examined as well.