Prevent Bathroom Fan Fire

 
We recently published a blog post on keeping your bathroom safe from electrical hazards. As it happens, bathroom fans often cause bathroom / house fires. When reminded of this we decided that we wanted to take a moment to share that information with you.
 

Bad Wiring
The first, obvious cause for bathroom fan fires is bad wiring. We’ve covered some of the warning signs of bad wiring before.

 

Running the Fan Constantly
You should run the fan for 15 – 20 minutes during and after a bath / shower. This will help the bath fan fulfill its intended purpose of controlling moisture in your bathroom. However, do not leave the fan on all the time (24/7). If the fan constantly runs the ball bearings inside will lock up. This can cause the motor to overheat, which can cause a fire.
 
 

Dirty Bath Fan
Dust and lint do get caught in these fans. These can ignite if they aren’t cleared away on a regular basis. Fortunately, bathroom exhaust fans are pretty easy to clean. You can simply attack the vents with blasts of canned air until the fan is clean and clear. Do this once a month to keep your fans safe. Old fans are a hazard…don’t be afraid to replace a fan that is past its time. Your bathroom will thank you, and your home will be safer.

 
 
Need to install a new bathroom fan? Afraid the wiring in your home isn’t up to par? Call ARC Electric Company today to let us handle a new installation!