I was recently scrolling through my personal Facebook page and a friend had posted a picture of her fiancee with water all over the floor with the caption “he had one job to watch the sink as it filled with water”. Obviously he failed at this task and she took to social media to “shame” – I have to admit it was quite funny. I love those pictures I see on pinterest of “you had one job” – so I went looking for any electrical uh-ohs and found a few. Sometimes I do wonder if there is a back story to why something is like that or if someone just isn’t paying attention.
Moral to this story – call ARC Electric Company 704-821-7005
I found these great tips on ESFI.org* – Electrical Safety Foundation International. Keep in mind May is electrical safety month!
All electrical work in your home should be performed by a licensed electrician in accordance with local and national codes. Have your home electrical system inspected by a qualified professional if:
* Your home is 40 years old or older;
* You purchase a previously-owned home;
* Your home has undergone a major renovation; or
* You have added major new appliances in the last 10 years.
Consider having your circuit breakers replaced with arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs), which provide enhanced electrical fire protection by detecting dangerous arcing conditions.
Make sure all electrical panel circuits are properly labeled. Always replace fuses or circuit breakers with the correct size and amperage.
Use ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)-protected outlets in areas where electricity is near a water source, like in the kitchen and bathroom.
Every month, use the TEST buttons to check that GFCIs, AFCIs, and smoke alarms are working properly.
Routinely check cords, outlets, switches, and appliance for signs of damage. Do not use damaged electrial devices.
Do not overload outlets with too many devices or appliances.
Do not use extension cords on a permanent basis, and never use them with major appliances.
Never run electrical cords under rugs or carpets. Do not pinch cords under furniture or in windows/doors.
Always use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
Look and listen for warning signs of an electrical problem. Contact ARC Electric Company is you observe any of the issues below.
* Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers;
* A tingling feeling or slight shock when you touch an appliance
* Outlets and/or switches that are warm or make crackling, sizzling or buzzing noises; or
* Flickering or dimming lights.
Friendly reminder that ARC Electric Company is closed today, Friday April 3rd in observance of Easter. Our staff and electricians will be spending time with their loved ones. Our office will re-open on Monday, April 6th at 8am. As always, our phones will be answered live by our technician in case of an emergency.
I spent Tuesday evening with my son (who’s 4), my nephew (who’s 4) and my niece (who’s 2) dying Easter eggs. That was an adventure. This was the first year we dyed eggs and after some spills and cracks we walked away with about 2 dozen good eggs. The kids loved it. I am a big kid and love dying eggs, so it was fun for all. We will then hide the eggs Sunday for the kids to find and at this age I think it will be a blast. The past few years we have done it on a smaller scale with plastic eggs, hopefully all will be found so we don’t have any stinky surprises later next week.
I hope you and your family enjoy this great weekend and enjoy the holiday! Hopefully your eggs and dying station look like the photo, because mine sure didn’t! – Whitney
ARC Electric Company will be closed in observance of Easter on Friday, April 3rd. Our staff and technicians will be spending the holiday with their loved ones. Our office will open back up at 8 am on Monday, April 6th. Our phone will be answered live by our on-call technician for an emergency.
I came across an article called “Have You Seen This? Why you should hire an electrician” and it peaked my interest. It is funny and it shows that us wives are always camera ready for a mistake.
“Thanks to Pinterest and HGTV we all think we’re expert DIY pros when it comes to our homes. Quite often we go into our projects with the confidence of a lion only to finish and feel as sheepish as, well, a lowly sheep. You should see the wood floors in my house. Let’s just say the elevation change in my living room is enough to give you altitude sickness. What all this is leading to is the fact that hiring a professional is sometimes the best choice, as this husband and wife duo found out.
This couple decided to make some upgrades to their bathroom, which included some lighting upgrades. While the husband did his absolute best to make sure to put the wiring back exactly as he found it, he found out that electricians got to school for a reason. Go ahead and watch the insanity ensue for yourself, but there is another commentary to be made here besides the merits of hiring a professional. That is the fact that wives consistently find their husbands hilarious and often for all the wrong reasons. As a husband myself, there have been oh so many times that my wife has laughed this hard at my “mistakes.” Anyway, give the video a gander and get a good chuckle as we all learn two valuable lessons: that sometimes we should trust in a professional and that wives will always laugh at husbands’ missteps in the most loving way possible.”
— John Clyde, KSL w/ DailyAmerican.com
Entire Article Here
Did you ARC Electric Company offers financing for their generators? You can get 0% financing for 12 months. It’s quick and easy and once approved we can install your generator within a few days. Call us today to schedule your free estimate for a whole home generator!
March 20th is the first official day of Spring. With this warmer weather, make sure to walk around the exterior of your house. It’s the best time to repair any of the damage winter has left us with. Also, check your outlets for any discoloration. Discolored outlets mean something is going on behind the walls. With our CurrentSAFE program we can help give you peace of mind over your homes electrical system. ARC Electric Company is a licensed electrical contractor and CurrentSAFE certified to check out any hazards that may be lurking in your home.
Mike Holmes, contractor and host of the television show “Holmes on Homes,” and diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton Corporation, a global leader in electrical power management, today announced a collaboration to offer homeowners a line of “Holmes Approved” electrical surge protectors.
When installed on a home’s breaker box, Eaton’s surge products can help prevent or minimize damage to electronic devices, home appliances and other equipment in the event of electrical surges.
“People never think it could happen, but it happened to me,” said Mike Holmes. “A large electrical surge entered my house and I lost all my electronics that were plugged in. All of them. The first thing I did after replacing everything was install an Eaton Complete Home Surge protector.”
Mike Holmes is an advocate for homeowner and building safety. All projects and initiatives undertaken by the star contractor are defined by quality, integrity and trust. Eaton’s product innovation, superior customer service and commitment to doing business right makes the collaboration a logical next step.
“In an era of increasingly sophisticated and costly electronics and household appliances, homeowners have a lot on the line,” said Joanne Edwards, vice president and general manager, Eaton Corporation. “When a surge happens, their best defense is comprehensive surge protection.”
“I’ve been using these devices for years on the homes I work on,” added Holmes. “Don’t learn the hard way. It’s always better to prevent than replace.”
Eaton’s Complete Home Surge Protection Devices protect your home electronics from the damaging effects of electrical surges. They provide premium surge protection for AC power, telephone and cable at the point of entrance to the home. Protection at this location can reduce surges entering the home to an acceptable level for your home electronics and appliances.
Spending $425 on installing a whole home surge protector, could save you thousands and the hassle of dealing with your insurance company. At this time, we are offering a $50.00 off coupon on our Coupon Page, so technically it’s only $375! CLICK HERE to print this valuable coupon off.