Tag Archives: Carbon Monoxide Safety

Reminder…Check Your Smoke/CO Detectors Monthly

 
This morning we had a crew working at an apartment complex in Charlotte, while on-site working they heard another units CO Detector go off. The residents of the unit did the right thing by calling 911 and having the fire department come out. The local fire department evacuated the entire building and is in the process of determining the cause and making the area safe. The residents in this unit are lucky they had working CO Detectors because this could have ended completely different. This is just a reminder to please check your Smoke and CO detectors monthly! Below is a video from NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) on the importance of CO Detectors. Also, below you will see a CO Safety handout with great safety pointers (we also have one for Smoke Alarm Safety – CLICK HERE)! ARC Electric Company is always thinking of our customers and want to make sure you put safety first! Please give us a call if we can help in anyway. 704-821-7005
 

 
ARC Electric Company and CO Safety

Why is Carbon Monoxide Safety important?

source of co in homejpg
Did you know that, according to the NFPA, there is a carbon monoxide incident reported every 7 minutes in the United States? ARC Electric Company wants to help lower that statistic. So much so that we are willing to come out to your home to give a carbon monoxide detector at no charge! (see below)
 
Carbon Monoxide also known as the “Invisible Killer” is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas.
 
What is carbon monoxide (CO) and how is it produced?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.
 
How can I prevent CO poisoning?
• Install a CO alarm that meets the requirements of the current UL 2034 safety standard. A CO alarm can provide some added protection, but it is no substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce CO. Install a CO alarm in the hallway near every separate sleeping area of the home. Make sure the alarm cannot be covered up by furniture or draperies.
• Make sure appliances are installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by qualified professionals. Have the heating system professionally inspected and serviced annually to ensure proper operation. The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections.
• Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skill and tools. Always refer to the owners manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning equipment.
• Never operate a portable generator or any other gasoline engine-powered tool either in or near an enclosed space such as a garage, house, or other building. Even with open doors and windows, these spaces can trap CO and allow it to quickly build to lethal levels.

 
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:
• Headache
• Fatigue
• Shortness of breath
• Nausea
• Dizziness
High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
• Mental confusion
• Vomiting
• Loss of muscular coordination
• Loss of consciousness
• Ultimately death
Symptom severity is related to both the CO level and the duration of exposure. For slowly developing residential CO problems, occupants and/or physicians can mistake mild to moderate CO poisoning symptoms for the flu, which sometimes results in tragic deaths. For rapidly developing, high level CO exposures (e.g., associated with use of generators in residential spaces), victims can rapidly become mentally confused, and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms; they will likely die if not rescued.

 
FREECO

CLICK HERE and fill out the registration form for your FREE Carbon Monoxide Detector with your FREE CurrentSAFE In-Home Assessment.